Iritty , one of the beautiful hill side towns in the north Malabar of Kerala. The beauty of Iritty lies together with the unique rivers, streams, green hills and valleys. Iritty is the cultural and commercial center for the near villages.
It is believed that the first batch of Aryan immigrants settled in Kerala and Malabar region, because there is no evidence of the Paleolithic man having lived in this region. Even so, rock - cut caves and Megalithic burial sites of the Neolithic age have come to light in certain parts of Malabar.
Iritty and Malabar was part of the Chera kingdom, which ruled most of Kerala during the first several centuries. (from 9th century to 11th century). Later Kannur was the capital of the Kolattiri Rajas. (up to15th century). The Kolathiris were a power to reckon with at the time of the arrival of Portuguese towards the end of the 15th century. They built St. Angelo's Fort north of Kannur in 1505.
The Kolathiri Rajas and Samoothiris of Kozhikkode fought a common war against the Portuguese and they besieged the fort of St. Angelo at Kannur, in 1564. In the year 1663 the Dutch captured the fort. The disintegration of the Kolathiri's dominion started in the latter half of the 17th and the beginning of the 18th century following dissensions in the royal family by the extensive surrender of territory to consorts of the ruling members.
The British (The English East India Company) got its first foothold in the district towards the end of the 17th century, when it acquired a site at Thalassery for the erection of a fort and a factory. In 1708, the British built Thalassery Fort by the sea to protect and control the spice trade from the town, through which a variety of spices such as pepper and cardamom were exported.
Haidar Ali of Mysore conquered Malabar in 1773. In January 1788, Tippu Sultan descended on Kerala with a large army and founded a
new capital at Feroke - Calicut for his Malabar province. In 1792, at the conclusion of the Third Anglo - Mysore War, the British took over Kannur and the surrounding region, which became the new Malabar District of the British India's Madras Presidency.
Pazhassi Raja, popularly known as the Lion of Kerala, was the king of the Kottayam Royal family, from Mattanur of Malabar during the last decades of the 18th century. The fight against Tipu Sultan, Pazhassi Raja had helped the British, but following the Mysore withdrawal, their relationship fell apart. On June 28th of 1795, Pazhassi Raja challenged the British by stopping all tax collection and giving refuge to the people who were considered revolutionaries by the British. While South Canara and other parts of South India were being brought under British imperial control, following the fall of Mysore King in 1799, Pazhassi Raja raised the standard of revolt a second time. The Colonel Stevenson's efforts early in 1801 cut off the Pazhassi Raja from his adherents in South Malabar. From the forest of Waynad, Pazhassi fought a guerrilla war against the British with the help of his loyal Kurichiya tribe.
On 1st November 1805, Thomas Harvey Babar, took direct charge of the operations and on November 30, 1805 he surrounded and shot the Raja dead in an operation on the banks of a Nullah. The Raja's body was cremated with "customary honors". With the death of Pazhassi Raja, the resistance movement in north Kerala came to an end. The British had razed the original palace to the ground and built the road (Tellichey - Mysore road) over it.
Later part is Indian Independence and Kerala State formation...
Iritty - Kannur - Kerala
One of the beautiful Hill Station of North Kerala. Iritty is the cultural and commercial center for the near villages.